For a while I have been thinking about moving Dylan to a new room. Originally he was in the larger of our 2 extra bedrooms and shared space with the full size guest bed. This worked really well at times particularly when he was sick in December and he & I spent nearly a full 48 hours in there together. It was nice to be able to tuck us both into the big bed and have all of his stuff (diapers, medicine, etc) at hand.
As he’s grown (and we’ve had overnight guests stay more frequently … ie, Grama 😀 ), this has not been the most ideal situation. I do think he and my mom had quite a good time playing “peek-a-boo” through and over the rails at each other during her last stay. But we all need sleep so I began to think about putting him into a new room.
One of the pros or cons of me being a stay-at-home mommy now is the simple fact that I am here enough to see what is/isn’t working, what we do/don’t use, what I do/don’t like, etc. Last year I created a 3D model using Google Sketchup to help arrange the furniture in the nursery/guestroom. I went back to that model and updated it to match how the furniture was currently arranged:
Then I drew the second room (the former computer/scrap room) and began drawing & repositioning the various pieces of furniture to determine the new arrangement.
The new layout of the guest room:
Dylan’s new room:
I started taking apart the computer/scrap room about two weeks ago. I patched and touched up the paint where the shelving and pictures hung. Since the room was originally painted with “regular paint” (ie, before the no-VOC paint option we now have) and I just wanted to touch-up versus totally repaint, I let it sit for a few days to air out before moving Dylan into the room.
As of the beginning of the week, all of the furniture is in place in each room. I’m now focusing on organizing and decorating. Dylan’s new room is taking on more of the feel of a toddler room now that he’s more mobile. The built-in shelves in the corner by the glider once held old textbooks and scrapping magazines as well as knick knacks. Now they are taking on childhood favorites and stuffed animals. I confess, I’m having fun looking through Flickr again for more inspiration. His room will still have an animal theme (after all, I did just finish the zoo print crib teething rail cover). But some of the details are changing. I’ll share photos as the rooms progress.
ETA: If you decide to play with Google Sketchup (it’s free!), be sure to check out the 3D Warehouse for free models you can download (I did this for the glider and Aeron chair). And I have begun sharing some of my own models as well – 2pD Models. Enjoy!