Our elementary school kicked off spring school spirit week with Marvel Monday. When I asked my daughter which superhero she wanted to dress up as, she immediately chose “Wanda from WandaVision.” Admittedly, I had only seen part of an episode so I turned to the internet to search for inspiration. Thankfully, her Scarlet Witch look was a super simple costume we could recreate.
Then we tied on a long red cape that was one I wore as a teen for as part of a devil costume! Yes, my mom thankfully kept this and gave it to me a few years ago. I found it tucked away with our other Halloween costume extras.
Making the Headpiece
Finally, we needed the headpiece. I came across a great tutorial to make one using EVA Foam. Our nearby Michaels store had some in stock, but I felt like there had to be a simpler and less expensive way given this was just for a quick school dress up. Roaming the aisles looking for inspiration, I came across stiffened felt. Perfect.
I folded a piece of copy paper in half and sketched the headpiece design. Next I cut it out and held it to my daughter’s face. Not quite right. Take two and I had the headpiece design sized right. I traced it onto the red felt with fabric marker and cut out the design.
Then I folded it carefully in half to add the fold line at the top. I had her put on a red headband, positioned the headpiece, and carefully added a little hot glue on each side to secure it. Easy peasy and I only spent $1.25!