I mentioned last week that I had been pulling together ideas for our little girl’s blue, yellow & coral room. I had purchased fabric at my local quilt shop with the intent of making a duvet cover for Dylan’s crib comforter. Then I realized I had some crib size batting in my sewing stash so I thought I might make a simple quilt with a single fabric on each side.
Then I found a quilt idea on pinterest of a Herringbone Quilt by Alexis Middleton at Persia Lou and my semi-crazy pregnant self decided to attempt to make my own. I started over Labor Day weekend. Admittedly, there were several moments where I nearly tossed the entire thing in the trash. I used the seam ripper more times that I can count. And had to take a couple of cool off moments.
But, I did it. It has it’s imperfections, but overall, I’m quite proud of my first ever quilt.
The photo above shows the quilt hanging on the changing table I found on Craigslist and painted to match the yellow dresser in the room. I’m debating either a solid navy cover for the changing pad or, if I have some leftover fabric after I make the crib skirt and teething rail cover, to make a matching cover for it. Yes, I’ve gone crazy nesting!
An up-close photo of the quilt details:
My finished squares were 4×4. I stitched a similar pattern to the one used in Alexis’s quilt – leaving off one row of stitching as my design is smaller than hers. Completed quilt is approximately 32″x40″.
Supplies: Moda fabrics – Sunnyside by Kate Spain (blue floral); Robert Kaufman fabrics – Botanics by Carolyn Friedlander (leaf pattern); white cotton fabric from my stash; yellow dragonfly print for binding; Coats & Clark threads.