Hard to believe a third year has passed in the “foreclosure house.” Our list of completed projects is smaller than the previous two years, but still pretty large in scale and budget. Probably the biggest impact items were the new roof, backsplash tile in the kitchen, and pink paint on the walls of Elise’s new room. Here’s a look a the full list of projects we tackled this year:
Exterior – new roof. The old shingles were in bad shape and literally starting to fall off (several did after the roofing contractor and inspector were up there!). We chose to replace the old basic three-tab with a new brownish toned architectural style. Amazing the impact this simple change has made in curb appeal besides giving our home much needed protection from the elements!
Resurfaced the deck. Eventually we’d like to replace the deck with a screened in porch, but that’s not in the budget so we chose to clean & resurface it to protect the existing structure. The difference was amazing. It looks totally new and for a tiny, tiny fraction of the cost of replacing it.
Had the entire house power washed and gutters cleaned. This is an annual project and well worth the expense vs DIY.
Kitchen – replaced the microwave; painted the base cabinets and replaced the drawer pulls; added tip out trays behind the “drawer” panels in front of the sink; replaced the light fixture over the table; installed shelving over the desk; had the backsplash tiled.
Coat Closet – installed 2nd shelf and reorganized.
Stairs – installed a gate at the top of the stairs. Thankfully the house had one at the bottom when we purchased it, but the top was wide open so we added a gate to allow for Elise to move safely around the 2nd floor without concern for her falling down the stairs. The area is not square at all so I searched for a while before finding this gate by KidCo which can mount at the top of stairs and at an angle. Since we couldn’t align it and hit studs, we added painted 1x4s (screwed into studs) and then attached the gate.
Elise’s Room (formerly the craft room/office) – painted the walls pink. Removed the TV and phone connections (there was a triple phone jack! Hello, 1998, your dated technology is calling. 😉 ), and covered with new blank plates. Installed curtain rods & hung new curtains (well, borrowed from the master bedroom until I can find some I like!).
Master Bathroom – cleaned out the old caulk in the shower and add new.
This post contains affiliate links and I will be compensated if you make a purchase after clicking on my links.