Subscribe to our Mailing List

Get the news right in your inbox!

Raising Butterflies view through top of kit.

Raising Butterflies

April 11, 2022 Sarah Coggins
This post may contain affiliate links that help support this site at no additional cost to you.

Our son has been working hard the past 2 years taking a number of BSA merit badge classes. Last fall, one of those classes was about insects and included a requirement to raise one through complete metamorphosis. An option to fulfill this requirement was raising butterflies from caterpillars. We agreed to hold off on this until spring so our butterflies would have the best chance of survival.

Raising Butterflies title image featuring 3 photos - caterpillars in jar, chrysalis stage, and a releasing a butterfly.

I did go ahead and purchase the butterfly habitat in the fall. I found a simple pop-up design that stored easily until we needed it. The habitat also came with a code to order a free jar of caterpillars (just pay shipping costs). I used this when I ordered the caterpillars in early March.

Pop-up butterfly habitat with packaging, instructions, caterpillar voucher code, and small feeding dropper. All useful for raising butterflies at home.

Caterpillars Arrive

Raising butterflies starts with caterpillars. Our caterpillars arrived within a few days of placing the order. The box was clearly labeled and we followed the tracking so they wouldn’t sit for a long period inside our mailbox.

Shipment included jar of caterpillars, support "log" for chrysalides stage, and a packet of wildflower seeds.

Inside the box was the jar containing 5 caterpillars + food, a plastic log to use in the habitat during the chrysalis stage, and a packet of wildflower seeds. We removed the jar and set the rest of the items away for later.

Having a curious cat, I was cautious where we put the caterpillars. They needed to be out of sunlight and any drafts, but we also didn’t want them to be knocked around by our cat. Thus, we opted for the mantel right next to our LEGO Mini Disney Castle. This would keep them safely up out of Bertie’s reach, but still viewable for us as the caterpillars grew.

Growing and Growing

All 5 caterpillars were pretty sluggish after their arrival, but by the second day all were actively moving around the jar. It was interesting watching them crawl around and make webbing. I had no idea caterpillars did this. They were also slower in general than I anticipated.

Peeking at the caterpillars climbing around inside their jar.

They did grow rather quickly though. The difference between day 1 and day 10 was enormous.

Transformation Time

The two caterpillars picked spots on the lid and got into the ‘J’ position at day 10. Thankfully I was working from home so I got plenty of opportunity to take a peek and make photos/videos to show the kids later. It was impressive how quickly the chrysalis happened.

Caterpillars getting into J position at the jar lid in preparation for chrysalis stage.

Within 2 days, all 5 were in their chrysalides. One fell overnight and we found it laying in a small hole in the remaining food at the bottom. I had read that this wasn’t uncommon so we let it be.

On Day 14 we carefully removed the lid to the jar and tilted it into place in the plastic log. We put the entire thing onto a paper plate at the bottom of our butterfly habit. The fallen chrysalis we gently removed with a plastic spoon and placed near the others.

Painted Lady Butterfly chrysalides on jar lid.

Then the watch continued.


We knew to expect our butterflies to emerge after about a week in the chrysalis stage. Sure enough, at day 20, the first butterfly emerged and surprised us. I had literally checked on them about 2 hours before and all was still. It was exciting to peek again and see a butterfly stretching its wings!

First Painted Lady Butterfly emerges from its chrysalis.

Over the course of the day, 2 more butterflies emerged. The fourth would follow the next morning.

The one chrysalis remaining was the fallen one and I wasn’t too sure what to expect. We noticed that it was darker and color and, unlike the others, we could not see the wings through it. Apparently it was tougher than we thought. While we were out on a walk and the kids collecting flowers to put inside the habitat for the butterflies, the final butterfly did in fact emerge!

Fifth and final Painted Lady Butterfly emerges from its chrysalis. It's shown on netted side of habitat drying its wings.

It had one slightly curled wing so my son gently helped it to the edge of the habitat. It climbed up and began to stretch and dry out. Within no time it was a perfect match to the others.

Release Day

We kept our butterflies for several days – letting them grow, enjoying watching them, and keeping a close eye on the weather. We wanted to give them the best possibility of survival we could. I also did not want to keep them long enough that they would start mating. Raising was fun. I didn’t need 300+ eggs!

Cat peeking through netting of butterfly habitat to watch them stretch their wings.

Our plan early in the week was to release on a Wednesday afternoon. The weather was going to be much warmer that day than the previous days. Unfortunately, stormy weather began to show for Thursday so we opted to keep the butterflies another 48 hours. This was a good choice as Thursday did in fact bring rough weather including a tornado nearby – not exactly ideal weather for new butterflies!

Friday afternoon, thankfully, was beautiful. The sun was shining and our butterflies seemed excited as we took the habitat outdoors in preparation for their release.

After raising butterflies, time comes to release them. Image shows a Painted Lady Butterfly sitting on child's thumb ready to fly to freedom.

One did manage to sit on my daughter’s fingers long enough for a short video, but the rest took flight to freedom quickly!

Cleaning the Habitat

After our butterflies left, I wanted to clean the habitat before packing it up. I didn’t find any details online so I took a chance with a sink full off lukewarm water and Dawn dish soap. I simply submerged the compressed habitat and let it soak for about 30 minutes before rinsing thoroughly. I then put it on our porch to air dry in the sunlight.

Diluted tortoiseshell cat sniffing pop-up butterfly habitat after washing.

This worked perfectly. There were red stains around the netting from the meconium expelled when the butterflies emerged. After washing, the stains were gone and the habitat looked like new again. For now we’ve packed it back into its original box to save in case we decide we want to try raising butterflies again. All in all, it was quite fun and enjoyable for the entire family.

Kitchen Table STEAM

About Me


Hi! I'm a DIY and craft obsessed mom to 2. I have my hands covered in sawdust or paint any given day. My husband and kids join me in many of our projects. When we aren't creating at home, we're creating memories in our many adventures. Join along! Read More


Subscribe & Follow

Subscribe to our Mailing List

Get the news right in your inbox!

DIY Project Money (aka Affiliates)

At Home


I highly recommend the book What Was Lost: A Christian Journey through Miscarriage for any woman of faith who has suffered a miscarriage or anyone wanting to gain insight to help comfort a spouse, friend, sister, daughter, etc.


Fine Print

2paws Designs is a for-profit site. I make a small compensation from select links when purchases made via one of the affiliate companies. Select posts are sponsored and noted as such. All opinions within this website are my own. Find the Privacy Policy here.

Amazon Associates Disclosure

Sarah Coggins is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to

Hosting with SiteGround

Twitter Feed