In case you missed it, Sharknado 3 premiered last week. Sharknado has been an ongoing joke and source of entertainment with some friends since we all watched it during a beach trip 2 years ago. Flash forward to this summer and hearing that Sharknado 3 was coming out, I joked we should have a viewing party. Thankfully, one of my friends took me seriously and we sucked in a few other friends plus she hired a couple of babysitters to entertain the kids. The result? An afternoon of fun and hilarity.
Since it was an afternoon gathering, we kept to a few simple snacks – popcorn, candy, and, my own contribution, a shark watermelon.
Ah, Pinterest, the crazy things you inspire me to do. A few lessons learned:
- yes, like most Pinterest ideas, it was a bit more challenging than it looked, but, obviously, doable.
- When you use a personal size watermelon (which really was the perfect size for our gathering), your shark looks more like a piranha. 😀
- Grapes make great easy eyes, but I probably should have cut them more or dug out “sockets” to sink them a bit as he looks a tad bug eyed.
- I’m the world’s worst melon baller. Seriously, I think I made one true “ball.” The rest were all crazy shaped.
- A chip/dip plate for the base was my best idea. I cut out the bottom of the watermelon to sit perfectly over the built in dip section. This held the shark in place and assured he didn’t slide around the plate during travel or watermelon scooping.
And, of course, a Sharknado party was the perfect excuse for me to pull out at least part of my Sharknado costume from Halloween 2013. I still wear the shirt from time to time, but decided it needed another shark. So, I quickly sketched up a second shark onto freezer paper and cut it out with my x-acto knife to create a stencil. Then painted it on with fabric paint.
My friend provided the shark’s tooth necklaces for everyone. Perfect addition. My son was pretty excited about it all especially time to play with his buddies. My daughter wasn’t quite sure what all the fuss was about, but really was in a better mood than our one photo suggests!
Along with this we had a birthday pool party and a summer party complete with ice cream sundae bar this past weekend. So much fun all around.
How did you spend your weekend?
Linking up with Mommy & Me Monday at Really, Are You Serious?
Looking for more shark themed party & craft ideas, follow my Shark Week Pinterest board:
Follow Sarah Coggins’s board Shark Week on Pinterest.