A couple months ago I started asking the kids for ideas for our annual family Halloween theme. After tossing around a few ideas, our son suggested the Sword in the Stone. The idea stuck and we quickly picked our characters.
The easiest costume of all was King Arthur. My husband picked out the crown online. I found the fabric at JoAnn Fabrics. It was on sale (I have a large leftover piece and only spent about $12 on it!) and the velvet look was perfect for a “regal” costume. I added the lion emblem with yellow fabric from my stash plus Heat ‘n Bond.
We finished the look of with a belt created from two of mine. Both are long black fabric and tied into a single knot at the front.
We quickly convinced the little one to dress up like the owl, Archimedes. I had fun making her costume. I came across a brown sweater, gray shirt, and brown pants for less than $3 at a local consignment sale in September. The pants had a small hole in the knee. I repaired it with a bit of fabric ironed on with Heat ‘n Bond.
I added a few felt and fabric triangles on the gray shirt plus a fun ruffly edge along the bottom. Just a little something to give it an “owl” like feel.
For the wings, I used fabric to make the base and feathers. Then sewed the completed project onto the sweater. This made them simple for her to slip on and off, plus made the costume a bit warmer. Sunday’s high for the party and Trunk or Treat was low 60s, but it was still plenty cool especially as the sun set and the wind picked up.
I asked her if she wanted a mask, hat or headband. She requested a mask so I made one using felt and this free pattern.
I added to my ever growing Halloween wig collection with a new lavender option. My son helped me pick it based on photos of Madam Mim. All of our events were too chilly for a purple tank so I wore my own long sleeved purple shirt and paired it with a new pink skirt, purple tights, and purple shoes.
Thanks to a bit of time playing the Disney Magic Kingdoms game, our son had his heart set on dressing up as Merlin. He helped me search through Amazon for a few basics for his costume – hat, glasses, wand, and wig. The hat came with silver stars and a moon on it. Since Merlin’s hat is solid blue, my son carefully used my seam ripper to undo the stitching and remove the shapes.
I originally planned to make his robe when a better idea came to me. Another quick web search and I found a simple, navy blue boys’ bathrobe online at Kohl’s that would work for the costume. Best of all, he can continue to use it as a bathrobe after Halloween is over.
All in all we had a lot of fun putting together our Sword in the Stone themed costumes and are looking forward to a little more magical fun tonight.